What's more important? Self-Driving Cars or Terrorism? Who will dominate? Uber?

(Taichi Yasuhara) #1

Here is an article on the coming of self-driving cars, its social, political and economic impact.

What do you think about this article?

(Michael Brunet) #2

Only skimmed it - but he is wrong about most cities. I think most cities will be quick to legalize safe self driving vehicles - in fact, I think its already legal in California isn’t it?

My thoughts on Uber - is Uber will be disrupted by Google or Apple or Tesla. Unless Uber tries to make their own driverless vehicle (which I don’t think they are) than Google, Apple or Tesla will overtake them by starting their own “Car on Demand” service with their own produced Driverless vehicles - thus making it more affordable than Uber.

So Uber might still own a piece of the market however their piece is likely to shrink when driverless vehicles enter the market.

Now… The real question is:
Will VR kill transportation? LOL! :wink: (I doubt it but I think it will reduce travelling more than people think)

(Taichi Yasuhara) #3

Michael,

The articles states that most municipal governments will NOT make this transition easy due to loss of revenues from decreased traffic/parking tickets not to mention these groups and their lobbyists (taxi, limo, truck, public transportation).

In CA, driver-less is legal because they have not made it illegal YET.

More importantly I think you are underestimating the impact of this will have on society, thus the lobbyists groups mentioned above and the fight-to-the-end mentality they will have once their job is in jeopardy.

As far as the winner of the driver-less platform is concerned, I think it is way too early to tell who will win because each have their strengths and weaknesses but we will have to see who teams ups with who.

I appreciate your thought on this hope to continue this discussion with everyone.

No matter who wins this space, it is an exciting time in history to be witnessing all these technological advancement!

What’s next??? Cure for cancer, cure of all diseases? And much more in the horizon.

Taichi

(Michael Brunet) #4

Google and Apple are pretty big and I don’t believe they will let the governments stop them. ( Not to mention Mercedes, BMW, and others who apparently aren’t too far behind either)

Just look at Uber today - they are huge - despite many taxi lobbyist around the country.

Lobbyist are getting weaker and weaker every year due to many people knowing why they are there in the first place.

When a solution is 100 times better than the previous solution - its pretty hard to lobby to protect the old solution.

Just my 2 cents.

(Taichi Yasuhara) #5

Totally agree with you there, driver-less vehicles will takeover because it is an inevitable force of technology. But there will be many that will fight to death to oppose or TRY and derail (delay) it and ultimately succumb to the inevitable…

Google and Apple are big but does not necessary mean they are ahead. I think Apple is quite late to the show while Google and Tesla is right now leading…

I think the interesting thing here not only the competition between companies but also competition between China and US. Interesting because although everyone will benefit, a country like China has more to benefit than anyone else AND they have the political leeway (advantage) to force this thing ahead.

Nevertheless,the next few years should be quite interesting…

Taichi

(Congxing Cai) #6

Another aspect is ownership. Who is going to own the car? People, the car company, or the government?

If the visioned future is coming soon, how will the transfer of ownership happen? There are still many people owning a car, relying on a car, and treat it as an asset. People won’t give it away, meaning give away the current life style, unless a more natural transition of ownership is offered.

On that ground, I think Uber has more advantage. It taps much deeper into the lifestyle of people, by changing their choices of transportation.

(Taichi Yasuhara) #7

Yes the ownership issue is one issue. As stated by the author, I think many people will end up giving up their cars because the insurance companies will eventually make the cost of owning your own car not worth it for the masses.

Of course there will always be enthusiasts and the rich who will have their own cars but I would imagine that to be small percentage. Who would want to own their own car if it costs more, takes up valuable space in your home (garage turned into extra bedroom, your downtown parking lot turned into commercial space, etc), and the hassle of maintaining your car? Most cars have always been a liability not an asset, and a poor investment.

I think people will gradually let go of their cars (gradually only because the automakers will not be able to meet the demand, remember that we are talking about Global demand not only here in the US).

Due to the bottleneck of the automakers, if Uber is to have their own fleet they would need to join forces with an automaker, which I think will need to happen soon.

I think this space is still fluid and hard to say who will own it.

(Phil Anderson) #8

Unless Uber tries to make their own driverless vehicle (which I don’t think they are)

I think Uber realizes your point, and they are indeed developing self driving cars. If they can go to market before Google I think they could be a bigger player. People are getting used to not owning a car with Uber, so it’s a more natural transition to the world of self driving cars, since most people agree one of the main benefits of self driving cars is every person no longer needs to own one!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/is-uber-a-friend-or-foe-of-carnegie-mellon-in-robotics-1433084582