What products/tools do you use that you couldn't live without?

(Timo Dechau) #21

Trello - I stick with it now for some time, before I was using Asana
Sublime Text - Writing code
Typed - Yet another minimal Markdown editor - but I really like their approach
Inbox - Best web email client for me. Waiting to get it for business accounts
Intercom - if you have an application, you want to know what your customers are doing
Mixpanel - I have to admit that I like Kissmetrics a little bit more, but Mixpanel has the competitive pricing
Freckle - It’s just about tracking time, but you really see that they try to make it as convinient as possible for you
Google Analytics - Still is a great analytics tool when it comes to measure acquisition channels coming to your page and how do they convert
Firebase - Already mentioned above. Great service to get a full featured backend for your app. Works great with AngularJS via Angularfire

• Flowdock - Not seen anyone mention this stellar alternative to Slack (much better at threading and maintaining flows of conversation for a specific topic/issue. Find that things get easily lost in Slack b/c of overcomplicated UI.

• Sunrise / Asana - Recently discovered that this pair make a fantastic combo for visualising task accountability and timeframes.

• Buffer - Sharing across multi-national accounts with multiple users (i.e. each team member only has access to their own market’s accounts, but Admin can analyse global stats)

• Hootsuite - Listening and monitoring competitors, keyword lists and company mentions & linking

• Sublime - Learning the basics but Sublime is super intuitive even for us novices :smile:

• Workflowy - Note taking and brainstorming web editor. Super clean and easy to organise hierarchy and lists.

It’s still new to me, but I like what Typecast is doing for the greater design good.
And I’m looking forward to the Grid, and what they will do in this area.
I have to second anyone who mentioned Gmail. I think it’s taken for granted a bit, but it’s pretty efficient
and has broad functionality.

(Brian Schuster) #24

For me, I could not live without the ‘Clear’ app. I have used that so many times for groceries and quick lists that it’s on my Phones first panel.

• Writed: I just discovered this app. It’s awesome, lets you write with no distraction and in a terminal/typewriter style.

• Slack: It’s just beautiful. I use it for communication and organizing my projects.

• Pocket: You just can’t ignore it.

• Start.me: A homepage for my Chrome browser.

(Ahmed Hashim) #26

As a team, we rely on:

• Basecamp
  • InVision
  • Slack
  • Pivotal Tracker
  • GitLab

(Andrew Chen) #27

(Isaac Demme) #28
  1. Excel (currently 2010)
  2. Gmail
  3. GoogleDrive
  4. Excel Solver Plugin
  5. Excel Data Analysis Plugin
  6. Google Analytics
  7. Flurry Analytics
  8. Adobe Creative Cloud

(Preben Frenning) #29

Have you checked out Airtable? It’s like a collaborative spreadsheets/database tool made sexy! You might want to check it out if Excel is what you cannot live without =) (They have API’s and forms too)

The more I use it, the higher up on my “Need to have” list it gets.

(Luke Konior) #30

Let’s start with the chrome extensions:

Mac apps:

(Aleksandar) #31

Sublime Text, even for non-coding.
Photoscape X for quick photo editing.
Gmail. Buffer. Dropbox.
Active Collab for team-work and collaboration.
Grammarly for grammar and spell-check.
Pocket for saving articles to read during commute (this one is my favorite)

(mathieu verbeeck) #32

Web

• Trello
  • Sifter
  • Basecamp
  • Github
  • Mixpanel
  • Optimizely
  • App Annie
  • Google Analytics
  • Pocket
  • Redpen.io
  • Xero
  • SupportBee
  • SendGrid

MAC / Desktop

• Slack
  • Google Drive
  • Readkit
  • 1 Password
  • Sketch
  • Sequel Pro
  • Keynote
  • Excel
  • Divvy
  • Mailplane
  • Skitch

iOS

• Slack
  • Trello
  • Reeder
  • Clear
  • Basecamp
  • Testflight
  • App Annie
  • Google Analytics
  • Pocket
  • Google Drive
  • 1 Password
(Daniel O'Leary) #33

Seconded all all of these apps!

(Lauren Maffeo) #34

For work:

Slack. It keeps my fully remote team tuned in with each other throughout each workday. It’s easy to use, has an an awesome interface, and the mobile app is excellent.

For play:

WhatsApp. As a former American expat in London, many of my best friends still live abroad. I still think it’s amazing that I can use WhatsApp to text friends who are oceans away just as I would text a friend in the same room. It keeps staying in touch that much easier, and is one of the few products that I truly can’t live without.

(Adir Traitel) #35

I love to try new tools of the trade. This are the tools I used in the last year:

• Proto.io
  • JustinMind
  • Moqups.com
  • Basecamp (didn`t like it so much)
  • Sensor Tower
  • Flurry
  • MixPanel
  • Localytics
  • Google Analytics
  • Elasticode
  • Buffer
  • Draw.io
  • Snagit

For me:

Evernote
Dropbox
Slack
Trello
Feedly
MailChimp
Mention
Sidekick
Yesware
Google Analytics

These are only a few of my favorites! :smile:

(John Gallagher) #37

I’m a programmer to be prepared for some pretty weird/geeky picks…

MacVim - as someone who spends 90% of their day in a text editor once you learn vim or emacs properly… you never go back. It’s a steep learning curve but once you’ve got the basics it’s the gift that keeps on giving. Editing using sublime now feels incredibly clunky and slow

Sequel Pro - a pretty nice mac GUI for MySQL databases. Running under Alfred it also has a rather amusing alias where you can type “pancakes” and it’ll come up. Check out the icon for why this is funny to me.

Jq - a command line tool that lets you query JSON. Oh my goodness me - it’s just the best.

Zsh / terminal - once you really get the power of the terminal it’s like a great editor - you never go back. It’s so impenetrable and it drives me mad how few people explain the power of it well. I used to hate it with a passion. But once you experience the insane power it becomes unbelievably addictive.

Ruby - a truly lovely programming language. Once again, I don’t think there’s anyone I know who teaches Ruby or programming in a way I like. Once again, once you get comfortable with it and programming… it changes everything!

Alfred - I hate using the mouse. Hate hate hate it. So clumsy and slow. Alfred let’s me launch apps, send emails and so much more.

SizeUp - see my line about using the mouse - once of my favourite bits of software ever, size up ditches clumsy awkward dragging windows on the Mac and resizing them in favour of quick, precise no nonsense keyboard shortcuts for full size, half screen and next monitor Windows. Freaking amazing.

Git - once again, I didn’t really understand it for the longest time. It takes some investment but once you start using the command line and finally get what’s going on its so useful. I couldn’t survive without it now.

GitHub - I signed up very shortly after GitHub was started. Over the years it’s matured into an incredible bit of software for sharing and collaborating on code and a lot more. Simply indispensable.

If anyone would like to know any more about these tools just ask!

(Danial Shaikh) #39

Mind me asking how you use Evernote? Been trying for years to get into but but haven’t been able to commit.

(Landen Buckley) #40

My top 5 at the moment:

• Google Sheets (=IMPORTXML() web-scraping saves me tons of time)
  • Clarify (for resizing and annotating screenshots)
  • Gmail filters (especially great for organizing email notifications and competitor email marketing campaigns)
  • Sketch (can’t live without it!)
  • iPython (Just started using it; I’m blown away with how helpful it is)

Enjoy!

(Aneil Mallavarapu) #42
  • Slack & Hangouts - the killer combo for a distributed team
  • Git / Github / Zenhub.io <— seriously, Github needs to acqhire these guys.
  • Apple Notes, a vastly under appreciated app.
  • Intercom.io
  • Google Docs/Sheets
  • Chart.io
  • Keynote