Tool for concept experimentation

(Andrew Kvaal) #1

I’ve got a friend who wants to test a product concept. I suggested that he test demand before he spend 6 figures to get a v1 of the product built. We talked about creating a basic website and using SEO to see what kind of interest he could drum up (“product coming soon! sign up here to reserve yours”).

What’s the right tool to build that site – I want to be able to capture as much of the analytics as possible. I’m sure this community has great ideas – I’m thinking about

• tie traffic to SEO campaign
  • A/B test messages on the site itself
  • basic user info capture

Is a tool like Optimizely the right solution or are there others I should take a look at?
Thanks!
ak

(Charles Adler) #2

Well, there is this thing called Kickstarter. You should peep that. Though you won’t have quite the control over messaging, design and analytics you’re looking for, it will test the one thing that’s most important – consumer desire & need.

That said, there are a number of site builders out there that have Crowdfunding features to them. I believe Shopify might have something.

(Andrew Kvaal) #3

Love the Kickstarter tactic for many products – I’ve been told that many large companies are using it to test off-brand before investing in product development. Fascinating.
This particular product sits outside their terms of use. I’ll check out Shopify - thanks for the tip.

(Matthew de la Hey) #4

https://www.squarespace.com/ is good?

(Laura Levy) #5

I’ve been pretty happy with Squarespace overall, it’s quite basic but looks great on web and mobile web and is super easy to set up.

(Andrew Kvaal) #6

I’m going to give Squarespace a try …

For those that come later, I found www.webcreate.io to be a useful comparison tool.

thanks all

(Jake Soroka) #7

I think you’re going to run into some issues if your testing is centered around SEO. This seems like the right time to run some paid media (in my experience, FB provides the best rapid, iterative targeting.creative optimization platform for these purposes).

What I mean about SEO being problematic is you’re not going to know who these people are or what keyword drove them to your site, and therefore you won’t gain much understanding of product-audience fit or audience-creative relevance. Paid platforms will let you isolate particular audiences (gender, age, interests, etc) and test messaging/creative performance, along with the ability to report on their performance. When you go the SEO route, you get a mass of traffic dumped at your site with little in the way of fidelity between people, sources, or messaging.

I suggest some ‘acquisition sprints’ where you test audience vs audience and creative within each of those audiences, and you can then find which audiences or creative variants generate the most traffic, email capture, etc.

(Andrew Kvaal) #8

I’m fascinated … think you’re right. But I’m new SEO tests like this. Are there any blog post primers you can point me to so I can get up to speed?
This product concept is not massively nuanced, so I am hopeful that basic techniques will be effective for us.

(Jake Soroka) #9

I’m not aware of any primers on SEO Tests like this, it’s just based on my own experience with the granularity that organic search provides. And in terms of Paid Media acquisition sprints, I think it’s just a bite-sized version of the standard practices, but the priority is testing audiences and creatives to get tour unit costs to make sense and be scalable, so that when you scale up your scaling spend on your best performers.

Maybe someone else is aware of blog posts on either of those? Sorry I’m not of more help there.