Opinion/feedback request: gitstorage - Source Code Server

(Ramesh Jayavaram) #1

Hi fellow marketers,
I need your help in understanding why this gitstorage device is not selling much. Btw, I am the only guy handling this product’s marketing and I have no education/work experience in software development.

Background: The founder of the company (Computer Science Ph.D. and developer for 20+years) had his source code stolen by an international firm a few years ago and decided that he had to do something for securing his hard work. So this product was developed over the last one year in stealth mode and is now sold on Amazon.com

Product: gitstorage devices run the version control system “git” on a small Linux appliance, offering a solution that combines the best of hosted options and on-premise solutions. gitstorage is sold in two variants, a 64GB (blue) and 16GB (red) version for $99.00 and $199.00 respectively. The price includes software updates for one year. Software updates for year 2 forward would be at a cost of $99/year.

Marketing/Sales: We have started selling these products on Amazon.com from the first week of February but have not gotten sales as expected. Less than 10 devices were sold. We have exhibited in few developer tradeshows in SF and Boston, and got some coverage on small publications and published an article on Hackernoon (Medium.com) as well. We are doing paid ads on Google, StackOverflow, Youtube and also active on Twitter. I am sure we have reached at least 20,000+ developers through one channel or the other in the last two months. We also have few thousand visits to our website every week.

Please share your view on what could be the problem? Is it the website content? The channels? The price? Messaging? The product itself?

Any feedback on the product and the marketing is welcome.

Thank you.

Edit:
Adding comparison chart:

(Barry W. Enderwick) #2

Without doing a deep dive it is really hard to say what is causing the lack of sales. It could be any or a combination of any of the aspects you listed (website, channels, price, messaging, Amazon optimization). All I can say is that from the website, and even with the Medium article, it is not abundantly clear what problem you are solving for the end consumer, why it is different and better than other solutions, and how it will meaningfully impact the lives of your target consumers in a positive way. You should talk to those who have bought, find out what has been compelling for them and leverage that knowledge. Channel selection should be driven by target audience + product and price sensitivity can be researched via surveys.

(Vineel Shah) #3

I’m not sure about the purpose of this product (I’m a software developer.) Is there any evidence that github is insecure? Has somebody had their code stolen from a private repo? I would be much more worried about my “gitstorage” device crashing or burning up in a fire and all of my company’s IP dying with it. Is there a secure backup service that comes with it? If not, it’s too big a risk. If so, I may as well use Github.

This also seems to be weirdly site-specific. Can you even use it with a distributed team? Can I use it and work from home? Who codes in an office anymore?

Also the big trend is to never buy a physical server again – we have this new thing called “the cloud”. You should check it out, it’s pretty cool. At my day job we spent a year getting rid of our physical servers.

So… this seems to be designer for the world of 10 years ago. The world has changed.

(Ramesh Jayavaram) #4

Hi Vineel, thanks for the questions and feedback.

Regarding GitHub and/or other cloud repo services, I don’t think they are insecure but this has been a topic of discussion in forums. Just type “is my source code safe in github” and you will see the questions and articles. It’s an issue of trusting the admins of those companies…

Regarding gitstorage, yes the device is encrypted and the backup is also encrypted in DropBox. Yes, the device is like an enterprise version of GitHub/GitLab etc, in the sense, it’s in your office/home but can be used from anywhere through port-forwarding. You can share the code with your team. The 16GB device is limited to 10 users and the other one (64GB) has no limit on users.

Agreed reg the cloud, but the main concern the founder wanted to solve was the lack of a suitable secure option for small companies which combines the convenience of the cloud with the security of the premises. Most big companies store their code on a server in their office but small companies cannot afford to do the same due to upfront investment and maintenance required. The device comes with UI. The following videos explain the above points clearly.

Appreciate your feedback and questions.

(Vineel Shah) #5

I guess I’m not the target market. I’ve been the CTO of 2 venture-backed startups (teams under 10) and I currently work for a company with about 80 developers and 1,300 employees. Gitstorage would have solved all the wrong problems for all 3 of these orgs. I can see a security or finance firm wanting this level of security, but they would have enough $$ to run their own box – which would fit correctly in a server rack and be data-center-friendly.

I could maybe see taking the software, wrapping it up in a container, and running a service as a super-secure git host. But the box just seems weird to me.

Good luck!

(Ramesh Jayavaram) #6

The market seems to very small/niche. The box was intentionally designed to be small so you can fix it anywhere - e.g. under the table. It has an Orange Pi in it. Regarding the colors, I am also not a big fan.
Thanks for your suggestion, will communicate to the founder.