Mobile Analytics: Mixpanel verus Localytics?

(Elliott Poppel) #1

We’re trying to decide what to use at RobinHealth and are trying to cut through the jargon / buzz words on the site to see which is best for what use case.

Who do you use? Why do you use them? What do you use them with (e.g., Segment, Branch, Kochava, Tune…)? Would you use them again?

(Jamie Hall) #2

Those are both solid choices. Flurry is another popular one. You can also do a lot with Google Analytics, esp if you are willing to dig in a bit. I believe most folks use 2 analytics packages, typically GA + another. We’ve been using Amplitude recently. It’s not cheap, but really shines when it comes to user cohort and retention analysis specifically.

(Phil Anderson) #3

We’ve used Flurry, Google Analytics and Mixpanel. In the end we’ve found Mixpanel to be the most useful. Google Analytics and Flurry are free, but they always seem to be missing things we’d want to analyze, also Flurry’s interface is just bad and Google Analytics seems like it’s trying to force web-type analytics into mobile.

Mixpanel has a great interface, and let’s you drill into individual user behavior, plus has the upside of offering push notifications, event based triggers, and a/b testing. It is quite pricey though. Have not tried Localytics, but in calls with their sales people it seems very comparable to Mixpanel.

(Dmitry Kozhedubov) #4

What about Kissmetrics, specifically user profiles and cohort analysis? I love Mixpanel but it’s getting increasingly more expensive as we get more users.

(Yifat Shirben) #5

Hi Elliott,
MixPannel and Localytics are indeed very popular and for a reason.
However, while MiXpannel is really versatile and flexible it is a bit complicated to work with and much more expensive.
I don’t have much experience with Localytics but I think there is also some initial set-up involved.

If I may suggest another option, take a look at curve.tech - a new player in the market that is able to capture all of it in an affordable way. A little disclaimer that I’m involved there in a way but really think it’s the next best thing.

It is super easy to install (1 line of code), no need for set-up (it does auto-tagging, machine learning BI etc.), it collects granular data so you can track the user anywhere and dive into single view or get the bigger picture with cohorts.
Plus, it have so many actions built into it (rules, marketing automation, user restore, crash and error reports and much more).

(Sunil Thomas) #6

sorry, biased opinion (I’m cofounder & ceo at CleverTap) but you must try CleverTap – clevertap.com – out. It’s as much analytics as you will need and we do a kick-ass job with user segmentation and engagement (send push notifications, in-app messages, email and web notifications as well).

(Ravi Vyas) #7

If you are just looking for an Analytics solution you should definitely try out Amplitude. What most other solution have on Amplitude is the ability to engage with your users. But then again they are not full fledged analytics solutions.

Amplitude Demo - https://amplitude.com/demo

(Vijay) #8

We chose segment SDK and used Mixpanel on the northbound side. Amplitude was a consideration as well but it was not included with the free tier for Segment. Advantage with segment basically is that i have integration with Mailchimp as well right from Segment and there are tons of options that might suit your specific needs spanning analytics, automation and other functions. Hope this helps

(Elliott Poppel) #9

@Ganti - Are you finding everything works as intended with Segment or are there tradeoffs for not using their SDK?

(Mikael Mossberg) #10

@elliott at Distiller we spin GA, Branch, and Mixpanel up into Segment. Tried Localytics and wasn’t a big fan. The setup process is tough to be honest. It took close to a month with all of the back and forth with them. Working with Mixpanel is a lot nicer. Feel free to email me if you have more questions! mikael [at] distiller [dot] com.

(Kate Frangos) #11

You should look into MobileBridge in their analytics module. The platform includes an unprecedented wealth of precise, real-time data and triggers through mobile analytics, including, but not limited to: weather forecasting, outdoor and indoor location data including geo-fencing, beacons, heat maps curated from persons’ footfall traffic in-store, commercial data if users redeemed/activated/saved/used in-app coupons, contextual data on user preferences, as well as in-app engagement data indexed by app sniffers which shows how users engaged inside the app (what pages/screens read, how long duration per screen, how user engaged with mobile assets* like vouchers, surveys, polls, messages, 3D product models, videos, loyalty points, games, etc. – all native designed to be displayed in a pixel perfect way on the screen of the mobile device – thus, delivering a very rich app experience to the customer) .

(Luis) #12

@elliott really depends on what you’re looking to do. Talking to a lot of companies on this topic, it’s clear that the analytics tools and flexibility you need depend on the use cases your trying to solve.

Sounds like a truism, but there’s a reason why many larger companies end up building their own analytics platforms - they outgrow what has been previously commercially avaliable. Here is a link to a blog post on what we call the Data Value Journey

Typically, your use of behavior “event” data will track to your product roadmap. Are you singularly focused on building the product, or is optimizing retention, monetization, etc more of the focus?

Naturally, all those things are important, but if you’re prioritizing, what’s on top?

There’s a data scientist, Ricardo Vladimiro, at a gaming company, Miniclip, that does an awesome job of reviewing just about all the anayltics companies out there and does so relative to the use-cases for which they’re suited. Here is a link to one of my favorite posts about The User State

Good luck, feel free to reach out with any questions.

-Luis

(colby) #13

We use Mixpanel at Traverse. The cost definitely ramps up quickly. Here’s a decent Quora post discussing several alternative with links to more information, reviews, etc.

https://www.quora.com/Between-Flurry-vs-Mixpanel-vs-Localytics-vs-Google-mobile-analytics-who-wins-Why

We also really enjoyed Mixpanel’s tech help. The product isn’t as simple as they claim and has some learning curve to it. Also resources on Swift integration were a bit limited. Nothing that’s too difficult to overcome but wanted to give you a heads up.

(Momchil Kyurkchiev) #14

Full disclaimer, I’m the CEO and Co-Founder of Leanplum. We built our platform on a foundation of A/B testing and analytics, meaning analytics are fully ingrained in everything we do. And yes, you can also use Segment, Branch, Kochava, and Tune within Leanplum if you so choose.

Our platform provides automated insights and statistical significance right out of the box. Unlike Mixpanel, we have no data limits, and we automatically collect data about your users so you can make your metrics actionable.

Mobile analytics can be nice to satisfy your curiosity surrounding your app’s metrics, but in the end, you need a platform that also includes A/B testing. Analytics are great to satisfy for your curiosity for what’s happening in your app, but you need to make those metrics actionable toward app improvement.

(Elliott Poppel) #15

We went ahead with Mixpanel because they had what appeared to be a more robust solution for mobile. Definitely clear now that this is a stopgap until we can build something ourself. Like CRM, this is clearly one of those tools that never works quite the way you want it to work (which is probably why there are so many solutions out there).

Within Mixpanel (and Localytics and anything else), what specific configuration and dashboard are people finding most useful? Is anyone hacking together anything really insightful on top of their off-the-shelf setup?

(Vijay) #16

Everything worked for us as intended. @elliott

(Elliott Poppel) #17

Has anyone used the push notification features on either platform? If you use one of these and don’t use the included notification platform, what do you use and why not the off-the-shelf solution?

(Amanda Le) #18

HI Elliott,

We’re actually going to be having an open Growth Chat with Zac Aghion, Director of Product at Localytics on our community to answer any questions from the community.

I saw that you said you went ahead with Mixpanel, but if you did have any further concerns, feel free to join in the conversation. It’ll be Thursday July 21 at 9am PST https://mobilegrowth.org/growthchats/zac-aghion-localytics/

(Mayank Kumar) #19

Hey @elliott, I use Mixpanel for push notifications quite a bit. Usually I’ll use it for testing with a certain population before we build it into our backend. Being able to segment the population, test different variants, and having a control group is pretty nice. Take a little getting used to though.

(ANKIT RAHEJA) #20

thanks @mayank. We are also looking at using Mixpanel notifications( coz we already have the people analytics plan). I have tried SMS/In-App notification and it is great. We have asked dev to put the in-app notification set up also. Hoping it will work fine in Dev. Yes, the UI is not very intutitive but trying to get used to it. How many notifications do you send every day? And, when you say you are going to build in backend, how are you going to build it. Which technology/software?

Ankit