Marketing strategy/ tactics for a B2B2B software company

(Ramesh Jayavaram) #1

What are the best (high ROI and less resource consuming) marketing channels and tactics for a small B2B2B software company that white-labels it’s software? Ideal customers are VARs (value-added resellers) and MSPs (managed service providers). The budget for marketing is less than $3k/month. We have 3 sales / technical person to follow up with the leads.

(Lateef Mauricio) #2

There are so many ways to do this, and they all depend on where you are today (i.e. market education, need awareness, number of active customers, price point, competition, etc.).

If you’re trying to spend $3k per month consider routing some of that money towards incentivizing your sales team’s activity as they need to be actively scouting and pitching cold prospects, in parallel with any marketing effort.

Your marketing is going to fill the top of the funnel and get email addresses for continued touches (lead nurturing). It’s hard to sell new software (or most products) through advertising, so you should sell the story, the challenge and solution set. You can target your top 100 accounts on LinkedIn’s advertising platform and hit them with messaging that resonates with their challenges, without selling your product.

Of course - this can all be a moot point depending on your unique environment. At the end of the day it might just take a $6k exhibit at a great tradeshow to get you a couple hot leads.

(Bernhard Hüssy) #3

In our experience there are no miracles, at least not with a sustainable impact. Basically direct engagements and I am with @lateefx tradeshow’s are still a good way. I would also invested a bit of the budget into that you can follow the leads and turn them customers.

And sharing your knowledge, by reaching out to bloggers (not the massiv and expensive influencers) and make sure you build up your backlinks that’ll contribute to your SEO. Direct your existing customers to your social accounts and spread knowledge and expert-views, etc. from there.

Remember there was a time before the internet, when hustling was the only way to do business.

From door to door, hitting the phones, sending letters and mostly hearing “nope” or, in our case, we are famous for “I don’t get your product”. Realistically hard-nosed hustling is still is the only way to start, and find the right tool for you to channelise all the groundwork.

When you spend money on social media, and we are still highly critical about it, consider that this could be a bubble like the WSJ article suggest about BuzzFeed Set to Miss Revenue Target, Signaling Turbulence in Media and with knowing that I would go back to salesman playbook from the 60ies; make a script, say the same things, record your process and repeat. From that you can scale and use social media as a natural aid, because neither $36k or $360k give you a BANG and make it viral, look at today’s internet live statistics of the major channels - pretty much no amount of money would bring you there, however delivering on-time, in scope and low on bugs will bring you the love you deserve.

(Darren Boyer) #4

I own an MSP - VAR. There is a lot of business done in this channel via Influencers and usually this is via a Peer Group recommendation. So say you can get 1 happy customer in that peer group they will in turn bring this service to their peers in a closed door meeting. eFolder, Zenith, Labtech - they all spun up in sales and sometimes spin down when these groups bring a bad report back. HTG Group, Taylor, TruMethods are the groups. Finding members in those groups is what is needed though as the groups won’t likely endorse anything. I would be very skeptical of blogging influencers, paid media, email campaigns. some days it feels like there are 20,000 VAR’s in North America and 30,000 suppliers trying to market to them. It is so noisy…

Another route to take is google Jay McBain and Paul Revere. In that post he details how he targeted a strong relationship with every influencer he could when with Lenovo. Now Lenovo at the time happened to have a really solid product so their is a tail wind to Jay’s experience he doesn’t mention. If he had tried the same thing when with Dell it wouldn’t have worked.

You can reach me at pcit.com if I can be of help. But… we really aren’t looking for a new backup product, rmm, psa, spam, av, documentation service etc so a pitch won’t be the easiest way to work together. Darren