IPad Pro as my primary home computer


(Andrew Chen) #1

I have a bunch of computers:

  • MacBook Pro for serious work at home
  • Chromebook for email at home
  • MacBook Air for everything at work

Recently, I got an iPad Pro with a keyboard cover, and have started to replace my Chromebook as my primary web browser, email, etc.

Anyone else trying this and do y’all have any opinions?


(Brad Becker) #2

Here’s how it breaks down for me:

  • MacBook Pro Retina and iMac 5k for high fidelity visual work: Unity, video editing, Adobe apps, etc.
  • iPad Pro as second screen for communication, web research, documentation
  • iPad Pro for any sketching/pencil ideation work, note-taking in meetings where people aren’t using laptops. - Because it fits easily on an airline tray table and because I upgraded to the 4g version, it’s also my go to for travel working enroute.
  • iPad Pro to start things, sketch things, type up initial notes, rough out new Keynote decks, etc; finish up and polish in the matching Mac apps. My top tip here for Keynote on iPad is that you can select multiple objects if you hold on the first one.
  • Games are interesting because the difference in form factor, input devices, and gpu means some games are better on iPad Pro and some are better on Macs (or Xbox, PC, Switch, etc.)

(Andrew Min) #3

I tried doing this with my MacBook Pro and Surface Pro 3. However I found that it was easier to just use one device (MacBook Pro) so that all my content (e.g. writings, random web searches, email, code, etc.) is centralized in one place. Ultimately, for me my browser tabs are the most important, and having them all on one device turned out to be more convenient than having duplicates across multiple devices. My Surface pretty much ended up becoming a media-exclusive device.

How do you prevent your workflow from being stuck at any point? Do you strictly use certain devices for certain purposes? If so, man I feel like that’d take some discipline. Or do you use tools like Handoff (for iOS/OS X devices), Pocket, etc to maintain continuity?


(Andrew Chen) #4

So far being able to put my email and calendar next to each other makes it so that I can do about 80% of my work. Tells you what I’m working on these days :slight_smile:

The other stuff - working on spreadsheets, projects that require drag and drop, lots of app switching, etc. - those I leave until later I’m at a desktop. Not a great solution but I think segmenting the work into light communication versus heavy work seems okay right now.

So far so good! But I think that’s because a lot of my work right now seems to be writing emails.


(Ian Corbin) #5

I use an iPad Pro for 80% of my work, and a Macbook for the remaining 20%. The trick is making sure everything is in sync. iCloud solves many of the sync issues.

I use my Macbook primarily for spreadsheets and doing analyses in apps like R Studio. I have found that my own workflow favors the iPad Pro because you can go from writing on a keyboard to tapping to drawing on the screen with an Apple Pencil. It’s very versatile and speeds things up like annotating screenshots and taking notes.

Plus, the portability is pretty great.


(Andrew Chen) #6

Yeah i think you’re totally right that some things - like spreadsheets and presentations - need to go to desktop. That’s exactly what I’ve been doing too. Also sometimes I have to do a bunch of scheduling and it’s a lot easier to switch between calendar and email on a desktop.


(Steven Raft) #7

I use an iPad Series 3 for reading, a few brain games,and reading the various news feeds and newsletters I receive daily. I have a MacBook Air for personal stuff and an LG Gram for work on Office365 products that I use a 27" external monitor to be able to be more efficient. I dislike Office for Mac…


(Ralf Muhlberger) #8

When I got my first iPad it took about 1/3 of my computing time away from my laptop. Things like emails, news sites, reading, etc. Interestingly, my Apple Watch takes around 1/3 of my time away from my phone, in terms of quick SMS replies, calendar checking, etc.


(Filip Mandaric) #9

What I would really like:

  • a pair of glasses with embedded high-resolution displays to replace your monitor
  • some sort of projection-based keyboard
  • a revolutionary new way of controlling cursor movement/selection

Pretty sure this would revolutionize personal computing. Funny thing is that the technology is already out there and only getting cheaper. :grin:


(Caroline Gonzalez) #10

I got my iPad Pro with the keyboard cover & pen last year, and what a revelation! I would say it’s split in these ways:

Accessing digital content:

iPadPro 75%
Android (Samsung A5) 15%
Laptop (an old Toshiba) 10%

One year prior:

Android (Samsung Galaxy Note II) 60%
Laptop (same) 40%

I must add though that the iPad Pro is not just taking over the home computer space but it goes everywhere with me, so it’s my ‘laptop’ as well.