How can you drive in-store sales with beacon technology and your app?

(Kate Frangos) #1

Hey All,

I’m sure you’ve heard about beacon technology? Retailers like Macy’s, Target, American Eagle, to airlines like Virgin Atlantic and sports leagues like Major League Baseball stadium (MLB) have already used beacons for different location-based campaigns.

So how do you think beacons can drive in-store sales revenue?

With the right mobile marketing automation platform which recognizes beacon technology, such activities can be accomplished like:

1. Greet customers upon arrival or departure with personalized message or offer
  2. Guide user where product, customer service desk, bathroom, store map is
  3. Offer the right product information, at the right time, in the exact location when user needs it
  4. Enrich the in-store customer experience with branded content via mobile assets
  5. Notify users about low inventory levels
  6. Enabling easy mobile payments

I’d like to hear your input, and see if I’m, missing anything?? Thanks everyone, look forward to hearing your feedback!

(Barry W. Enderwick) #2

Bring the quality of algorithmic merchandising to the real world shopping environment.

(Stefan Wolpers) #3

There a slidedeck for that: iBeacons – Fad Or Trend? The Use-Cases For Retail And Omni-Channel Solutions

(Kate Frangos) #4

Hi barry, thanks for your comment. Can you expand on the algorithm merchandising? I’m not so familiar with that topic

(Kate Frangos) #5

Hi Stefan, thanks! I read your slide deck.
Besides push notifications, guidance to products in store, contextual info to see online eCommerce store (see slide 16) personalization with relevant promotions which is similar to what I wrote, what other things can beacons do? thanks!

(Barry W. Enderwick) #6

When you visit a website, they track where you go, what you do, and how you rate items. Algorithms are able to tak that information, look at the inventory available and merchandise products you’re likely to want. More than just promotion or guidance, it’s about curating the inventory available to maximize consumer delight (increase sales and likelihood to return). So far, that doesn’t really happen (in a meaningful way) in brick and mortar stores.

(Brady Fletcher) #7

That’s what we were building with www.coastr.io - experiential loyalty tied to beacon driven analytics. Awesome response rate from retailers, but needed to do more on the user incentive side

(Sabina) #8

Loved your post! Here are a few tips I listed in a blogpost I wrote about us getting more and more welcoming to receiving messages to our smartphones from the store we are visiting:

*Remind your app users of yourself when they are in close proximity of your shop. Tempt them to come in e.g. with an exclusive offer.
*Let your app users know that they can chat with shop attendants through your app during their visit.
*Remind your users of the wish lists that they have conducted in your app.
*Give your app users an exclusive gift card or e.g. a discount if they purchase their wish list today.
*Let your users know about special offers you have on products that they might be interested in.

Here’s a link to the discussion http://talk.andrewchen.co/t/article-is-retail-ready-for-beacons-and-increased-app-retention/

(Sir Moxie) #9

I just checked out coaster.io, So you’re building services for businesses that foursquare should have built. I agree, you have to do more to get the general public to use the service. I think building a platform is great, but you have to realize that you’re dealing with entrenched players: yelp, foursquare, and to some extent Facebook & Google. Not having integrated payments is a non starter for me. Moreoever you will want to have group planning à la DownToLunch.

Sir Moxie
https://twitter.com/sirmoxie

(Sir Moxie) #10

These are helpful services to have, activities 1 & 5 are essentially the same thing.
The one major hindrance is having to download apps from different stores is a hardsell and not practical. The ideal solution is to integrate all the above services into a platform like Brady and company is doing(to some extent) at www.coastr.io

Sir Moxie
www.twitter.com/sirmoxie

(Kate Frangos) #11

Thanks for your comment Sir Moxie. I checked out coastr, but the only thing is, aren’t they specialized for the restaurant industry only? I do get that users would find it perhaps impractical to download multiple retail apps, but I believe it’s ultimately up to the user to decide based on trial error if they 1st, need the app, and 2, find themselves depending on the app and/or engaging with it on an on-going basis. From personal experience, I had to download the HM app in order to participate in their revised loyalty program. But I recently uninstalled it due to the poor experience I had. 1st of all, the push notifications were never sent to me while I was inside their store or located nearby and 2, they never informed me about the following aforementioned points from greeting me, to making my experience in-store easy, i.e informing me about a blouse I saved in my checkout cart which was unavaliable in-store (low inventory level notification would have been helpful)

(Emily Goldring) #12

I definitely think beacon technology is still relevant and will continue to become more and more important.

This article does a nice job of breaking down the main benefits of using beacon technology. I also think this article shows how it affects brand marketing.

(Jordi Favà) #13

I think that one of the best applications of beacons technology, is to connect offline with online. And to explain that, watch this video from Mammut https://vimeo.com/92820616