Help with user data visualization/dashboard for e-commerce

(Stefan Suppa) #1

Hey everyone,

We’re looking to refine how we analyze user data and how to more effectively identify bottlenecks in our sales funnel.

We’re using Google Analytics right now, does anyone have insight into:

1. What the ideal dashboard should look like in Google Analytics
  2. Other tools that would be better than GA

Thanks!
Stefan

(Darren Cassidy) #2

Hi Stefan, I’m also working on the same thing. We’re using Heap right now to build out the funnel. Pretty powerful software but it’s not customized for ecommerce so you have to instantiate a lot of foundational info and build a lot yourself… I have mixed feelings and can’t necessarily recommend it. We also use GA. Excited to hear if others have had success with their dashboards.

(Stefan Suppa) #3

Thanks Darren, noted.

We’re investigating mixpanel right now as a potential solution. Does anyone have experience/feedback on mixpanel?

(Alejandro Vásquez) #4

Hi Stefan,

1. You can connect your GA account with this Google Studio e-commerce template I think this could help you to better data visualization.
    1.1) Also, here is some E-commerce Analytics Resources:

*https://www.optimizesmart.com/e-commerce-tracking-works-google-analytics-ultimate-guide/

1. Heap Analytics is a powerful tool, but you need some code skills for a better integration. Mixpanel could be useful too.

Hope this could be helpful.

Ale

(Levi Bethune) #5

Loved using Mixpanel for an iOS app last year. We’re in the process of connecting Mixpanel to a web-based HR dashboard tool via Segment. Our first choice was Kissmetrics, but their pricing isn’t very attractive to a seed-stage startup.

Because these bought-not-built tools keep changing and new ones keep popping up, it’s a good(IMO) idea to have an in-between like Segment or Google Tag Manager.

Having stumbled through a homebrew solution using an unholy marriage of Google Tag Manager, Firebase, Heroku, GA, and too many Excel formulas, I do recommend paying for a tool that does it right. So long as it does what you need. And if not, it’s in their best interest to find a solution to your analytics challenge.

(Philip Johnson) #6

I mainly lean on GA for ecommerce applications. I think IF you implement the enhanced ecommerce plugin it gets you about 80% where you need to be. Niel Patel has a good post about what it is / does here: https://neilpatel.com/blog/google-analytics-enhanced-ecommerce-features/.

It would require a developer or fairly technical person to implement enhanced ecommerce, but it’s free and very powerful.

GA does not do user-level analytics particularly well (tracking what individual users are doing on your website / app vs the aggregate traffic). You’ll eventually want those insights as well. IMO, as others have mentioned, I think Heap does this well as you don’t have to predefine what you want to track and don’t need immediate dev resources unless you want to integrate some server-side events.

For more complex reporting, there’s no substitute for writing SQL and a proper BI tool : )

(Stefan Suppa) #7

Thank you @Alejove, @levibethune, these are helpful pointers.

@PLJ Neil Patel has some great work on this subject, this helped us as well in GA.

https://neilpatel.com/blog/conversion-funnel-survival-guide/

We have set this up however the issue is that this funnel does not account for outside of app touch points in the customer purchase journey (eg - measuring how we touch the user/frequency etc and how many sessions in the purchase journey before a conversion etc.)

Is this a solved problem? Will be reading into everyone’s suggestions to check if there is a solution here.

Thanks all!

(Philip Johnson) #8

@stefan_suppa Ok great! Glad you’re setup with Enhanced Ecomm.

Then I think you can move toward something like Heap or Mixpanel to create your funnels which you can compare by segments of users using criteria you create in the tool (which could be number of touches via certain channels etc).

The remaining problem would be stitching these anonymous user profiles together across devices and sessions pre-conversion which is a whole different conversation.

Post conversion (login, purchase, whatever), if implemented correctly, Heap will automatically stitch existing anonymous profiles together as long as you can tell it some unifying piece of data (like email address when they login as a simple example).

(Stefan Suppa) #9

@PLJ This is very helpful, thank you!