Get Feedback for Your Product

(Jimmy Yu) #1

Hi all,

You can post a link to your product here and describe what you are struggling with, and I will do my best to give you constructive feedback.

Motivation:
There are a few “I will give you feedback” threads. They are incredibly useful but sadly activity level has declined. Hoping I can be of help in providing a fresh perspective to your product.

My background:
I am an engineer / product guy / growth hacker. I mainly work on UX pipeline and engagement/acquisition funnels, starting with your [potential] user landing on your page for the first time. I’ve also been working with several startups to help find product/market fit.

P.S. This was inspired by several similar threads, with the most-similar one being the product positioning thread by @derekfromeI position your startup’s product (for free, of course)
A lot of good information there and I’d highly recommend you to take a look.

(Kerry Bodle) #2

Hi Jimmy,

My site is social-friendzy.com and I’m having trouble getting signups. I’ve done Facebook ad testing and am getting around 1% CTR but no signups. Im thinking my value proposition is muddy. I created a video explanation but I’m not sure my landing page is effective.

Thanks for the help! Awesome you are doing this.

Kerry

(Jonny Summers) #3

Hi Jimmy

Would love to get you feedback on www.sponsure.com. We are a marketplace for amateur sport sponsorship in the UK. Currently three weeks into launch in a hyper-local area in the county of Berkshire. Would be keen to hear from you on how you think we can optimise the engagement and conversion of Sponsors (local businesses and brands) going through the search funnel and ultimately signing up to either message a sport club or buy and opportunity. We have 70% bounce rate on our homepage, paid social traffic doesn’t seem to be baring many useful fruits. We are already making sales on the platform.
On the other side we are getting “sports clubs, schools and unis” signing up, but getting a fairly large drop off before finishing registration or listing an opportunity.
Look forward to your feedback, be as honest as you like haha…
Thanks
Jonny

(Jimmy Yu) #4

Hi Kerry @Treetopflyer,

I want to split my response into these sections:

1. Mobile vs. Desktop
  2. Explanation Video
  3. Number of Clicks to Signup
  4. Miscellaneous Growth Hacks

**Section 1. Mobile vs. Desktop.** Right off the bat, I can see that your mobile visitors will have a small but significantly different experience than your desktop visitors. Your landing page has two explanation sections: one at the top, another at the bottom. Your desktop visitors see both, but the top explanation section is missing on mobile.

This explanation section is arguably the most important factor in getting first time visitors to sign up. This is the first and very likely the only impression. Make it count. You made an explanation video, but mobile users will not even see the button to load that video.

Whether to decide if this problem is high priority, take a look at your visitor segmentation. I can see the Google Tag Manager (GTM) in your landing page source code so I am assuming you are using Google Analytics with GTM. Look at how your visitors are viewing your page: mobile vs. desktop.

If you have a lot of mobile visitors, then this problem may be a critical, high-priority issue. If your visitors are purely desktop (which I highly doubt), then this problem becomes not so relevant and you should focus on other solutions first.

**Section 2. Explanation Video.** Personally, I felt more confused listening to the video, and I am a native English speaker. One biggest advantage that a video provides is animation — complex relationships and logics are much better explained through animation. Your video doesn’t take advantage of it.

I think you are trying to explain these two selling points and I don’t think you need a video to do that.

1. Save money when shopping
  2. Make money when your friends shop

Your current wording is pretty good, though maybe some A/B testing will help with the wording.

(original)
"Shop and Save! Share and Earn!
Save up to 90% off from hundreds of your favorite stores.
Become a Brand Ambassador and earn exponentially.”

I feel you should separate the two sell-points in two columns:
(left column)
Shop and Save!
Save up to 90% off from hundreds of your favorite stores

(right column)
Share and Earn!
Become a Brand Ambassador and earn exponentially.

**Section 3. Number of Steps to Signup** Count the minimum number of clicks a visitor must perform to get to the sign up page. **Mobile: 2**. Home -> profile logo -> Join **Desktop: 1**. Home -> Join button

In comparison, your competitor ebates.com: 0 step.
They just throw it right in your face!

Having a 0-step to signup page is dangerous because it can be annoying. There are certain things you could do, like automatically popping up the signup page after the user scrolls down halfway, or after she has made her first search, etc.
These “IN-YOUR-FACE” popups need to be handled delicately with proper wording and often with the right incentive (ebates.com offers $10 giftcard. That’s a pretty strong incentive to signup!)

**Section 4. Miscellaneous Growth Hacks**
  1. Articulate product differentiation (vs. credit cards, vs. other rebate websites)
    • Articulate why cash back is better (spending isn’t limited to a retailer, no expiration, etc.)
  2. Find specific hooks that will attract users (a big part of this is growth marketing):
    • Can you double dip between credit card points and this cash back? If they can, maybe you need to educate them that this rebate is on top of their credit card point accumulation.
    • How about giving them $10 to start out with. They need to rake-in additional $10 of cash back to cashout on this promotion anyway. Do the math and see if this will work out.
    • The game of referral is a long game and you need to provide incentives at multiple points to make them move.
      • Tell users they will get $___ when their friends make their first purchase
      • Tell recently referred people (through the referral email) that their friends have sent them $10 to claim on socialfriendzy, etc.
  3. Add mini-case studies. Example:
    • “Aaron from California just saved $20 on Clarks shoes, and his friend Baron just made $3 from Aaron’s purchase!”
    • “Caron from New York made $142 because her friends shop online. Refer your friends to shop and save (and make money for you)!”
  4. Start tracking how much they interact with your site before they leave your site. Consider adding one of those chat boxes that pop out and ask “Hi! My name is Daron. How can I help you save money AND make money today?”

(Jimmy Yu) #6

Hi Jonny @jsummers,

I’ve taken a quick glance. Establishing a 2-sided market is tough especially when you are the first to do so. From my experience, it generally requires a lot of operation-side improvement (i.e. a lot of offline guidance/sales/BD).

I will dig a little deeper when I get some free time and will update this post in the next day or two.

Sincerely,
Jimmy

**Update**

Hi Jonny,

Apologies for the delay.

Product

• I fundamentally see your product as a B2B marketplace: between merchants and sports organizations.
  • Buyers are the merchants/local businesses. They may make multiple transactions every year but not many.
  • Sellers are the leaders of sports organizations (or the people who can legally represent the orgs). Each seller can sell multiple products but not many, and each product usually has limited supply of 1 quantity.
  • A product is generally an advertisement space (e.g. banner on football field, logo on sport jersey, etc).

UX Breakdown

Let’s break down your UX by user segment and what you want them to do.
These represent the end-goal of that particular step.

Group 1: New Users
Step 1. Visits landing page.
Step 2. Registers an account.
Step 3. Seller lists product(s), buyer buys product(s).

Group 2: Returning Users
Step 1. Revisits Sponsure.
Step 2. Seller updates listing(s), buyer buys more product(s).

Challenge

• Users are registering but not transacting

If your users are registering, it means your landing page is working. (But how well? Let’s save landing page optimization discussion for another day).
We will skip talking about steps 1-2 for new users, and instead focus on taking new users from step 2 to step 3.

Some Thoughts

Two things have to align for your new users to cross from step #2 to #3.

1. Users – your users are ready to buy/sell.
  2. Product – your product makes it dead-simple to transact.

I’ve browsed through your product and and it’s quite well polished, so I’m going to focus the remainder of this writeup on the users.

User Requirements

I see these requirements below as the most important factors that impact your new users between step #2 -> step #3.
UR1. Wants to buy/sell advertisement space
UR2. Is a decision maker of the business/organization
UR3. Believes in the values/ROI of sponsoring sports teams
UR4. Believes in the values of transacting through Sponsure

Finding the Problem

• Your users have already registered. The best way is to reach out to them directly.
  • For incoming new users, I’d strongly suggest putting a 3-4 question survey when they log-in for the first time. This will help you better understand who they are and what they want.
    Examples:
    i. How much money do you need to raise / what’s your advertisement budget?
    ii. What’s your relationship to the team? Select: athlete, administrator, coach, relatives, friends.
    iii. What’s your relationship to the sponsor? Select: owner, employee, friends.
    iv. What’s your favorite sport?
    v. Which park/field do you play the most for practice/competition?
    vi. Which sports park/field is your business nearest to?

Some Growth Hacks

UR1. Wants to buy/sell advertisement space

• Show others like them are already on your network. If you are targeting a buyer, figure out the buyer’s competitors. Show them who is sponsoring which teams. If the user is looking for a sponsor, show schools/teams in their location that have already listed.
  • Create a feeling of urgency. Airbnb and Booking.com shows “3 other users are also looking at this hotel” to remind you that this product has other buyers and that you better act soon.

UR2. Is a decision maker of the business/organization

If not a decision maker, figure out how this user can help you pass on the message.

• Make it easy for this user to refer the actual decision maker (e.g. have a feature to share links, prepare printable material that can be printed and shared, etc.)
  • Give referral incentives (may cross some ethical borders)
  • The user is already registered. Send a reminder (email/call) and have an actionable opportunity (i.e. if you are calling a potential buyer, be ready to give a few recommendations on what to buy).

UR3. Believes in the values/ROI of sponsoring sports teams

• Go beyond the ROI and the numbers you’ve already mentioned and get more qualitative. Try to touch their hearts instead of their brains. Create a more personal connection between the buyers and sellers, e.g. showcasing moving stories of what a team was able to do with the money, or even how some merchants choose to sponsor teams purely out of goodness of their hearts (like fighting child obesity or sponsoring disabled athletes).

UR4. Believes in the values of transacting through Sponsure

I feel that perhaps this section is the most unclear to me as I browse through your product.

• What does your product offer besides saving time?
  • What is preventing your users from making this/future deals directly and cutting you, the middleman, out from the equation?
  • In cases of disagreements, who will mediate the discussion? Merchants don’t want to be seen as bullying children sports teams, even if the fault is on the sports team.

(Jonny Summers) #7

Thanks jimmy, yes we are hitting all the things you mentioned pretty hard currently to get the education of both sides correct. Wheels are turning. Look forward to hearing from you in next few days. Appreciate it.

(Chris Cranley) #8

Hi Jimmy - We are actively testing this website to improve the visitor to demo sign up rate: http://www.outlier.ai. What are your thoughts – or better yet - what questions would you like to see personally answered before stepping over to the demo request step?

(Ali Zewail) #9

Hi Jimmy,
Thanks for this initiative, you rock!
It would be great if you check out Chaino: www.chaino.com

It’s a social product and I’d love your point of view on whether the differentiation is clear enough. Also, did the on-boarding process get you to where you felt it was usable?

Thanks again and looking forward to your feedback!
Ali

Hi Jimmy,

I’m with Vivaldi - a web browser for power users. We’re in the midst of revamping our main site and starting on ideas for the onboarding flow following download. Would be great to hear your thoughts on that aspect specifically.

There’s a lot going on in Vivaldi as far as features and customisation and from what we’ve seen it looks like onboarding is the key step we need to tackle.

Let me know what you think, thanks!
Jon

(Jonny Summers) #11

Hi Jimmy

Firstly, thank you for taking the time to look through the platform and put together this review. Some very interesting points. I think the product section is a fairly accurate summary of what it is we are doing. We are trying to push the social/digital engagement as one of the main products that our sellers list. Which obviously hasn’t come across to you, so need to make this clearer.

UX breakdown is spot on however… the challenge I believe isn’t the same for both sellers and buyers…

1. Sellers - we are getting registrations, but over 50% are partial registrations that don’t complete and never list a property - we are re-engaging this population via email/call etc - NOT a massive issue here, we are looking at reducing the registration process to make it more efficient.
  2. MOST IMPORTANT one - A lack of registrations on the Buyer side. Currently we only capture information if a potential buyer clicks “buy now” or “send message” on an opportunity listing. Do we need to bring the email/registration capture earlier up in the search/review funnel so we can capture prospects earlier. As the ones that are signing up are transacting but we miss out on a population of people that aren’t signing up. Yes, we can re-market to them on FB, Twitter, Google etc but we still don’t know who these people are. Whats your opinion on bringing the Buyer registration earlier on in the process, say after a search is performed… they need to register to see results?

Some Thoughts section - agree on alignment for sure. 1) I think there is still an education process that needs to happen on both sides, more so on the buyer side. This touches on your point (UR3) around touching hearts instead of brains and creating personal connections. We’re working on creating some short videos here to showcase things like a) the old vs new way to buy and activate sports sponsorship at amateur/grassroots level, b) types of CSR activities that can be done in the local community (sport sponsorship being one of them) More awareness type material to educate before getting them ready to engage and then buy.

Growth hacks section certainly some food for thought and some things in there we’d love to do, however want to focus on driving registrations up.

Again thanks for the input here, look forward to your thoughts on the buyer registration question.

Have a great weekend

Jonny

(Yeap Ming Feng) #12

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for doing this.

I’m with Seedly.

Seedly run a free everyday personal finance mobile app that aggregates your financial data across up to 6 local bank and card accounts to give you a complete personal financial picture. We now automatically imports your transactions from banks to allow better monitoring of your personal finances.

On top of that, we run personal finance content for average Singaporeans.

One main issue we are facing is that Personal Finance in Asia is not SEXY. Most people understand the importance of it, but would not talk about it openly and are very very sensitive their finances details. Also, despite being financially savvy, most people lack the habit of monitoring their expenses closely.

We are trying to find ways to improve both our downloads and Monthly Active Users.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks a lot!
Ming

(Yousif Astarabadi) #13

Hey Jimmy,

LumaChallenge.com is a weight loss platform that helps individuals lose weight and keep it off through financial and social accountability. Luma Challengers place monthly bets on reaching their own goals and Luma helps them get there through a combination of AI and nutritionists. They make weight loss fun, convenient and easy. On average, each of the 168 Million overweight people in the US spends $2,760 more per year on healthcare costs than those who are not overweight. Luma saves individuals money while increasing the quality of their lives.

I want to get your general feedback, we are preparing for a launch. Our beta customers have indicated a weak onboarding flow, but that is a separate issue.

My main concerns are:

• Messaging -- does it make sense? Is it effective?
  • Design -- how can elements be positioned better on the page for readability/conversion?
  • Images -- are the images effective? what can we add to hit our messaging home?
  • Flow -- feedback on flow of information, clicks to signup, etc..

Thanks!

(Wilson Alvarez) #14

Hi Everyone, I have a problem with the startup where I worked for a long time. We have developed a very complete MVP and worked with some paid customers.

Companies that learn about the service, are registered and encouraged to use it, but are not recurrent. They seem to be very satisfied and tell us that they will probably use the future service again, but this does not happen. This makes us think that we do not yet have a “Product Market Fit”.

Right now I have no resources to continue Pivoting for much more, I know that there is an opportunity with a huge market, but now I have few options :frowning:

My questions are:
Is it possible that you have not found a “Product Market Fit” yet?
What should I do now if I do not have many resources to continue, I need at least to survive day to day?

Startup data:
Https://teamcaller.co/
Ideal Customer: B2B Startups in Acceleration Stage
Growth: 35% weekly the first two months we went to the market, // a month ago we stalled for lack of resources and because customers were not recurring

Greetings and thanks to anyone who can help me

(Igor Feerer) #15

Guys, I’ve developed a multi-sided platform to bridge the communication divide that exists between investors and the startups they invest in. AngelLoop is an investor relations tool for founders and a portfolio tracking tool for investors. At the moment, most of the outbound investor reports are sent through emails and takes founders countless hours to gather data, format it into a report and email their investors. The issue is that that email goes to an unsecure and noise investor inbox and if the investor doesn’t see it or review it, than the founder doesn’t reap the rewards, i.e. help in scaling his/her venture. Investors on the other hand resort to tracking their portfolio companies on spreadsheets and after they sign a check feel like communications/updates from their PCs drop off.

AngelLoop solves both their issues by getting both sides organized under one platform and giving founders all the tools they need to track their metrics, report their updates and through social tools help founders build relations with their investors.

site is - www.angelloop.com
demo link here

Feedback will help shape our feature roadmap and our overall approach to distribution.

I love you,

• Igor

(Mollie Q. Coleman) #16

Thanks @jimyu! Would love to get some feedback for my business partner’s site: gethempbutter.com

We are trying to find a place in the natural beauty industry. Not sure how to drive more traffic to the site or where we should focus on ways to increase our e-commerce? FB ads v IG ads?

Side note: There’s also a stigma with “hemp” aka “cannabis” even though there is no THC in our product.

Thanks for your advice and help in advance!

(Justin Javith) #17

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for this initiative.

Our service is LeadMine. It is a lead generation platform.
Even though we are getting quite a bit of signups, we could not covert them as paying customers.

I would love to get your feedback.

Thanks,
Justin

(Ed) #18

Hi @jimyu,
I have two products :slightly_smiling_face: One a Hyperlocal Business Directory for my city (Lagos Island) which I struggle to get signups and repeat users and a Digital Marketing & Talent Management Company in Lagos, Nigeria which I’m struggling with to get clients.
I recently left my job and need to generate revenues ASAP.