Anyone use a 360 degree performance feedback tool that you love?

(Arthur Etchells) #1

I’m looking for a tool to facilitate 360 degree feedback - employees for peers, managers for subordinates, etc. impraise.com looks good. Does anyone else have and love their tool for this? Or use more informal / ad hoc processes they like?

(Declan Dunn) #2

While not literally designed for feedback, Compini is built on continuous feedback loops through discussions, and ongoing interactions. While not a literal review, and likely more informal/ad hoc, it makes sense that continual communication is as good a measure as a performance review. Depends on the company of course.

(Geoff Tucker) #3

Please take this article into consideration before implementing a review process.

While the idea sounds good, the truth is the review process is largely broken. It causes more harm than good as managers tend to use it to focus only on negatives or petty discord, and peers/subordinates use it as a way to (relatively safely) retaliate against those above them. As someone currently dealing with a manager who received largely negative reviews, and her boss who is largely making no effort to help her, I have to say that unless you have the right behaviors and values being practiced, it’s a paper-pushing exercise that yields no benefit to company or employee.

Alternately, consider a straightforward, transparent and objective measure of performance. Manager and employee write the goals together, and then check did they meet their goals. Do this on an ongoing basis not quarterly or annual. Studies have shown reviews favor the last 90 days because our brains are biased to more recent activity.

If they met the goals, then good; if no, then examine why, and assist with coaching to improve for the next round. If you are not tying worthwhile compensation bonuses or increases to the process, it is largely symbolic and a dated display of authority. Employees typically find them degrading…it smacks of getting grades in elementary school.

Further, are you conducting reviews to serve a material purpose or because “that’s what businesses are supposed to do”? What is the true benefit to the business for doing these?

(Arthur Etchells) #4

Agree on potential downsides, particularly that it can serve as an mgmt cudgel. My interest in the process stems from the fact that I’ve found the process invaluable in identifying my own blind spots. Reviews from a manager can leave large gaps in the picture from folks lower in org chart, peers, etc. Agree on consistent, regular feedback esp shared in 1:1 being far and away more valuable than quarterly or yearly reviews (which processes are typically terribad).

(Lolita) #5

Check out Bamboo HR (https://www.bamboohr.com/live-demo/?utm_source=RevSite-DiscoverCloud-LP) and see if you like it. We currently use it for measuring Quarterly performance and getting peer feedback. You can also modify it to suit the line of work you’re in.

(Geoff Tucker) #6

If it’s your own blind spots you’re looking to tackle, you might try some different approaches.

Personally when I’ve managed someone, I preferred to tackle issues at 1:1 meetings to keep them on course instead of having special meetings to discuss problems. I treated it as coachable moments versus counseling. I’d would rather receive feedback along the way that helps me versus having a heavy discussion around a particular feedback as the former feels like the manager is demonstrating that they care and the latter feels like you’ve been called into the principal’s office. That makes it easier to sustain a tone of honesty and fairness without belittlement or micromanagement. Obviously I have had some bad managers in my career so these are lessons learned from their failures.